Since Renee and Heather have thrown themselves out there with a personal blog post I'm going to join in. We don't shit rainbows around here either Heather! :) I actually wrote this post the other night but have just hesitated with posting it because it's extremely personal and hard for me to throw out there for the world to see. Here goes...
I'm just really having a hard time being comfortable with my new body and mindset. I'm not the same person at all. I don't know who that girl was, but I can tell you I didn't like her much. I wish I could feel more confident and comfortable with myself, but it's a learning process. Right now I'm having a good time going out with friends, making new friends and trying to learn what it's like to be in my 20's. A few years ago I didn't want to go out. Ever. You couldn't have drug me into a bar or club for any reason. I'm enjoying running while my kids ride their bikes! For the first time in my life I can run farther than they can ride! Things that used to be fun just aren't fun anymore. I don't mind going out to dinner once in a while but it's not fun and exciting anymore. Not because I stress so much about the calories anymore, but because I feel awful after eating out for a few days. I hate sitting at home for any amount of time. I want to be out doing things instead of sitting in front of the tv.
It's a struggle right now for me to be essentially raising 2 children on my own while Matt travels. Trying to balance friends, family, kids, school, workouts, having no A/C, keeping the house clean and just day to day life. Throw in the fact that I've not been feeling well and have had no appetite so I don't have much energy, plus the lack of sleep, and then the kids each having their own weird problems with Matt being gone and it's a recipe for disaster. I'm tired, lonely and just feel like the energy has been sucked out of me.
Luckily for my children I'm perfectly capable of sucking it up and doing my job as their mother. We go to school, the park, the gym and I'm trying to keep their lives as normal as possible so they don't see I'm struggling with myself. We've probably been eating an unhealthy amount of cereal though. Mini-wheats have become their own food group around here. Strawberry is fruit, frosted and chocolate are dessert. Lots of fiber! The box says it's good for you!
I'm certainly not unhappy by any means. I'm just kind of stuck between being a 25 year old girl who looks and acts 25, and the woman who is married and has 2 kids with a world of responsibilities. Would I trade my life for something easier? Not a chance. Would I love to be able to find a great balance between both worlds? Absolutely! Am I kind of having a hard time right now? Sure. Will it get better? It has to. :)
Shaila... so I totally went through this BIG TIME a few years ago after Eli was born (not the weight thing, but the whole being in my 20s and wondering if there was more to life out there than being a wife and mom). I mean I REALLY struggled for like an entire year, and I felt terribly guilty about it because I loved my family dearly... I just didn't know if I could handle this being IT. We'll have to do coffee or something some time and chat because I've gotten through the worst of it (I hope), although it still brews its ugly head from time to time. I felt really embarassed abut talking about it with anyone because I felt like such a horrible person. You are NOT along though, sista... let's make a date!
ReplyDeleteShaila-
ReplyDeleteI have read your blog several times since I noticed it on your Facebook profile. I just want you to know how extremely proud I am of you for all you've accomplished in your short 25 years of life. I know we were never close by any means back home, but I never noticed your weight. You were always such a beautiful, happy girl. I never would have known you weren't happy with yourself. I think it is amazing though, that you wanted to be a healthier version of yourself. You look AMAZING and what you have done for your children is wonderful. Being able to run farther than they ride their bikes is quite a task. After being married for 3 years now, I wish I had what you have. I have gained some weight that I wish I hadn't. My husband and I desperately want children and it's just not happening for us right now. And when it does finally happen, I would love to stay home with our kids but it may just not be possible for us. I can only hope. I feel like so many of the things I am struggling with are my fault and I don't really like myself too much sometimes. I haven't shared this with anyone because I don't want people to see me cry so I guess it is just easier to type out. I just wanted you to know that you are admired for the woman and mother that you are. You have some many things to be thankful for. You look fabulous and you should be so proud of yourself.
Michelle
I can relate to a lot of what you said. Not so much about the weight stuff (yet), but I think it's really normal for peole who lose a lot of weight to have a really hard adjustment period. Your body changes before your mind has time to catch up. I'm confident this will get easier for you.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the other stuff, it's hard to be a young mom! Like you said, I wouldn't change my life for anything, but it's hard for me to have friends and family my age who have such seemingly carefree lives with much less responisibility. It doesn't feel good to feel tied down all the time. Thank God for mommy friends, because I seriously would have been committed by now having lacked these connections. I do think it's a shame that we can't discuss these things more openly, because I have a feeling that many of us feel the same but are too afraid to admit it. I know I have at times. I'd love to hear Renee shed some light on her "enlightenment" because I fear I am heading in a downward spirals sometimes, as far as this topic goes...
OMG I cannot wait to chat at the gym next week. I am seriously MADE FUN OF for losing so much weight. I am actually made to feel bad about it. I could go on and just take over your whole blog about the subject, so I'll stop.
ReplyDeleteYou're a rocktstar.
I so relate, although I'm nowhere near my goal or anything, but it's so weird to be so close but still feel so far! The mind is a funny thing, it does think I'm still almost 300lbs!!!
ReplyDelete