Friday, July 2, 2010

Activity Overload.

So the kids and I had to sit down and figure out what they want to do this fall and it's just slightly overwhelming. We have t-ball until August and we opted out of dance for this month because she changed the schedule and it's on the same night as t-ball games. We still have piano lessons (which I like that she's doing and I'm trying to encourage without pushing the issue) and we have MDO but this month is relatively calm. Kind of. But in a few weeks school will start and both kids will be going 5 days a week (WOOHOO!) and activities will be mostly in the evenings and weekends. So we sat down and made a list of the things they want to do, things they have to do and things that I'm making them do whether they like it or not. :)

Our behavioral specialist suggests that we keep J in structured activities so build up his ability to play on a team and realize that he's sometimes accountable to people other than himself so I plan to keep him in at least one activity year round. T-ball will end in August and soccer starts 2 weeks later so he'll do doing that. Then basketball starts the week after soccer ends so I'll put him in that too. And as a bonus they are all through the YMCA so he already has the shirt, although he'll need a bigger one soon. With 5 days a week of school, 1 practice a week and 1 game a week I think that will keep him pretty busy.

M on the other hand is an entirely different story. She wants to do dance, soccer, piano, basketball, girl scouts and cheerleading. Yeah. Not going to happen. I'm keeping her in dance so she's safe on that one. I really do want her to play some sports so we'll do the soccer and then basketball (and I think she'll be able to wear J's jersey when I get him a new one...lol) so she can try those. Girl Scouts and cheerleading I'm thinking won't make the cut (I am signing her up for a cheer clinic this month so she'll get some cheering) simply because I don't know how I could work it all in. Piano is something I want her to continue so even if we have to figure out how to fit her lessons in, she'll be doing it somehow.

It's crazy. I'm trying to convince J to play sports because he really needs them for structure and I'm trying to convince M she doesn't need to be doing everything that everyone else is doing. My kids are such polar opposites. Looking at the schedule for fall has me realizing that the older my kids get, the less time there's going to be. Days will be at school and nights and weekends will be activities. What happened to my babies that were happy to play with their toys and run around the house?!? Those days are long gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment