Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Running

Ok so I have the most bizarre situation happening to me. Every time I run I gain weight! I'm not talking half a pound of water weight. If I run for a week straight I can easily put on 3-4 pounds! I know the basic science of calories in verses calories out but I can easily have a day like yesterday where I run 4 miles (not straight...I did 2 runs) and gain weight because I ran the last 5 days regardless of the fact that I burned over 3000 calories and only took in 1650. It's frustrating because I like to run. Sometimes I just need to run to get out some extra aggression and to feel the endorphin rush that comes after I'm done. Some weeks I just suck it up and know that I'm going to gain simply because I've spent a few hours on the treadmill instead of the AMT machine but I can't put 2 and 2 together and figure out why I'm having trouble with gaining while burning calories! Anyone have any brilliant ideas? I know I won't have lost tomorrow because I spent an hour on the treadmill again today. Ugh. 10 pounds to go and I'm never going to get there at this rate!

2 comments:

  1. I could speculate that you may not actually be eating enough and your body is trying to hang onto some of those calories. But then that would defy your little gadget. I eat nearly 3000 calories a day on the days I run, and probably burn them all. I have stayed between 140-145 for six months. So I know when to eat more, eat less, step up the cardio, dial it back, etc. You may have to start experimenting with your diet just like you do your work outs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat about 1500 on the days I don't run and up to about 1800 on the days I do simply because I'm starving if I don't. One day a week I do an eat what I burn day so if I burn 2600 calories then I eat 2600 calories. I don't gain from it and I think it keeps my metabolism in check but now I'm curious if maybe I need to start eating different types of food. I've had some insulin resistance problems in the past (it's been about 5 years now) and I tend to do better on a lower carb diet as much as I hate it. I'm contemplating doing a reduced carb diet and making the carbs come from fruit, whole grain bread and my required Luna bar after I run. Maybe if I keep my carbs to around 30% and try a higher protein diet for a while it will help. Calories in and calories out seems to be a system my body doesn't understand. :)

    ReplyDelete